There are hundreds of thousands hit-and-run accidents every year. Many of these result in serious injuries and/or deaths. However, the vast majority of hit-and-run accidents are less serious. As these types of accidents increase, it’s important to know what to do if are ever a victim of a hit-and-run.
Here are 3 things you should do:
- Get a license plate number of the other driver. Any information you can retain immediately following your accident can help bring the at-fault driver to justice. If you’re unable to get a license plate number, try to remember the make, model, and color of the other vehicle.
- Call the police immediately. When they arrive, give the officer all the facts of the case, being sure to leave nothing out. And be sure to complete an accident report. This will serve as the official account of what happened.
- Call your insurance company and report the accident. Depending on your coverage, your insurance company may be able to help you make arrangements to have your car towed and secure a rental car.
3 things you shouldn’t do:
- Do not pursue or confront the other driver. If you’re in a hit-and-run accident, it’s natural to want to pursue the at-fault driver. Bad idea. As soon as you leave the scene of the accident, you put yourself and your claim at risk. Stay where you are and wait for the police.
- Do not block traffic. If you can safely pull your vehicle to the side of the road, do so. Blocking traffic unnecessarily puts you and other drivers at risk.
- Do not wait in your car if it’s unsafe. It could take several minutes for the police to arrive at the scene. If you believe waiting in your car puts you in danger, leave the vehicle and wait somewhere safe.
If you’ve been the victim of a hit and run accident, call our Dallas car accident attorneys immediately. We’ll investigate the circumstances behind your accident and work to hold those accountable responsible for your injuries. Get your free consultation today.