March 5, 2013
A jury has awarded a $1.9 million to the family of a 63-year-old man who died as the result of a botched medical procedure. A story published in a recent issue of Outpatient Surgery Magazine explained the incident occurred in 2009 at the Longview Regional Medical Center.
Court documents show the victim had been admitted to the facility to have a Mallory-Weiss tear repaired. The condition is a laceration in the stomach that is caused by excessive vomiting. Medical staff failed to insert a breathing tube into the man’s throat and when he began to expel his stomach contents during the procedure, the bodily fluids traveled into the man’s lungs.
This condition left the victim unable to breathe on his own and he died two and a half days later due to complications.
The victim’s wife filed a Texas Medical Malpractice lawsuit against the hospital, the doctor, and members of his staff claiming their negligence in failing to intubate her husband was directly responsible for his death. A jury agreed and issued the award; however, the amount will likely be lowered due to medical malpractice award caps in place in the state.
The Dallas Personal Injury Lawyers are aware of the dangers a simple mistake during a medical procedure can present. That’s why the firm is hopeful the decision being reached in the case will bring a sense of closure to the family of the victim.