Dangerous Pet Food Recalled after Nearly 30 Fatal Reactions Reported in Dogs

According to CNN, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is investigating a brand of pet food called Sportmix that is linked to 28 deaths and eight injuries in dogs that were fed it. The pet food is manufactured by Midwestern Pet Foods, and it contains high levels of a dangerous chemical called aflatoxin, which is produced by a type of mold called Aspergillus flavus.

Pets that are injured by aflatoxin may show a variety of symptoms, including sluggishness, jaundice, reduced or lost appetite, vomiting, and diarrhea. In addition, the FDA says that some pets may be asymptomatic after consuming the food, but could suffer long-term liver damage, especially with frequent consumption.

Both dog and cat food versions of the product are affected by the dangerous mold, including:

  • Sportmix Energy Plus 50-lbs bag
  • Sportmix Energy Plus 44-lbs bag
  • Sportmix Premium High Energy 50-lbs bag
  • Sportmix Premium High Energy 44-lbs bag
  • Sportmix Original Cat 31-lbs bag
  • Sportmix Original Cat 15-lbs bag

Midwestern Pet Foods has recalled all of the affected products, which you can read about on the FDA’s website. If you purchased any of the affected bags of pet food and notice your pet showing unusual symptoms, contact your veterinarian immediately. In addition, throw away any affected products, and don’t donate them to pet stores or shelters.

At Ferrer, Poirot & Wansbrough, it’s our goal to help families when they’ve been harmed by dangerous products, even when that harm involves their pets. If your pet was hurt by a negligent food manufacturer, we want to hear from you. Contact our defective product lawyers today for a free consultation.