John T. Kirtley, III
John T. Kirtley, III, is the firm’s trial attorney, and he has practiced law since 1988. He is Board Certified in Personal Injury Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization and in Civil Trial Law by the National Board of Trial Advocacy. Texas attorneys have given him the highest professional and ethical rating (AV®Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated), and he was selected for inclusion in Thomson Reuters’ Texas Super Lawyers® for 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021 and 2022.
John has litigated thousands of cases involving automobile and trucking collisions, premises liability, wrongful death, pharmaceutical drugs and devices litigation, defective products, construction accidents, injured seamen and longshoremen, insurance claims, workers’ compensation, employment retaliation claims, consumer and commercial transactions, sexual abuse, class actions, legal malpractice, medical malpractice, and the Telephone Consumer Protection Act.
Professional memberships include American Board of Trial Advocates, The National Trial Lawyers (Top 100 Trial Lawyers), American Association for Justice, American Bar Association, Texas Trial Lawyers Association and Dallas Trial Lawyers Association.
In 2017, John was honored to receive the Texas Trial Lawyers Association’s “John Howie Spirit of Mentorship Award,” for his contributions to the betterment of his colleagues through mentorship, knowledge sharing, and professionalism. In 2021, he received the Dallas Trial Lawyers Association’s “Al Ellis List Server Award,” for the same reasons.
As a native Houstonian, John graduated with honors from the University of Houston. He earned his law degree from South Texas College of Law where he received the American Jurisprudence Award in Civil Trial Advocacy.
- District of Columbia
- New York
- North Carolina
- West Virginia
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth, Sixth and Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Northern, Eastern, Southern, and Western District Courts of Texas
- U.S. Eastern and Western Districts of Arkansas
Published Appellate Decisions:
- In re Quiroz, LEXIS 7423, 2017 WL 3381135 (Tex. App. —Dallas 2017, Memorandum Opinion, no pet.).
- Michelsen v. Jones, LEXIS 5291 (Tex. App. —Houston [14th Dist.] 2011, Memorandum Opinion, no pet.).
- Bombardier Aero. Empl. Welfare Benefits Plan v. Mestemacher, et al., 354 F 3d. 348 (5th Cir. 2003, cert. denied).
- Harris County v. Franks, 875 S.W.2d 1 (Tex. App. —Houston [1st Dist.] 1994, no writ).
- Aguilar v. Wenglar Construction Co., 871 S.W.2d 829 (Tex. App. —Corpus Christi 1994, no writ).